CityMinx

Thursday, May 11, 2006

um, knitting! Right! Almost forgot!

So, it was recently pointed out to me that this was supposed to be a knitting blog. To which I say, apparently I have been doing more drinking than knitting. Or maybe my knitting looks like I've been spending all my time drinking.

Much against the rest of my nature, I'm a one project at a time gal. I know that's a rartity 'mongst my circle of knitterati, but the rest of my life is cluttered enough. I like to start a project (granted, I usually start it a few times), work on it, curse it, ask random strangers for advice on it, talk about it incessantly, finish it, smile, sigh, put it away, then once again cover all surfaces in my apartment with patterns looking for what to knit next.

It's a process.

Right now I'm working on Tote thing. My first intarsia pattern, interesting process. Don't know if I liked it or not, probably have to try it again to decide. Not anytime soon tho. The front and back are done, and Jez seems to be pretty appreciative.





Now I'm working on the sides, which I'm doing at the same time since I knew I was going to run out before I was done. I hate it when I'm right. So I've made a design decision and am using a thick/thin yarn in the same exact color to finish it. Except I'm not crazy about how it looks. So, you say, go get another skein. Well, so you say. I say that I picked this wool out of the sale bin at Purl two years ago, and it had no label. Yay me! So if anyone knows of an insanely soft worsted weight wool that happens to come in a gorgeous fuschia, would you let me know? I'll hit Downtown Yarns tomorrow.

Speaking of advice, I'm buying an ice cream machine. Let me know which ones you like, or which ones are a piece of crap. Much obliged.

And, look what I found today, in Bryant Park:


I feel like I have much more to write about, but can't really think of anything right now. I will, at about 3am when I'm trying to fall asleep.

Hmmm, cooked some great tofu last night. No, not an oxymoron. Cube extra firm tofu. Drizzle with fish sauce. Dredge with flour (or matzo flour, if you happen to have some leftover). Beat an egg, add some pepper and soy sauce. Dump tofu in egg mixture, then back into flour. Heat olive oil and some butter in a fabulous Calphalon pan (Yes! That is what I wanted to mention! Crate and Barrel have a special, two Calphalon non-stick frying pans, a small and a medium, for $40!!!! I'll be getting mine tomorrow) Dump in tofu cubes, and cook till crispy on outside. Kinda like extra fresh tasting popcorn shrimp.

And, oh my goodness, check out this site. MmmBento. Adorable! I can so see myself getting into this. Thank god I have no storage space.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger MUDNYC said…

    I'm a monogamous knitter, too! There is this one project that I never finished and still have on the needles, it's my first attempt at a tank top. It really bugs me that it's not finished. It's from a year ago. I think about it all the time. I should just finish it or frog it so it doesn't haunt me so. But I don't love the yarn so much, I was so inexperienced when I comitted to it. I didn't know how much else was out there!

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do you have a KitchenAid (somehow that seems like a silly question for you!)? I have the ice cream mixer bowl for the KitchenAid and highly recommend it. It's around $80 or so and fits any KA and works really well...Susi

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    Surprisingly enough I have some fuchsia yarn in my stash!
    What weight do you need? - email me - heather_aok@yahoo.com
    I can bring some along tomorrow if you're going to be around?
    The tofu stuff sounds good, but I'd have to sub the fish sauce.
    I like the idea of the non-stick pans - was supposed to get one for Glenny-boy for Crimbo but he's an All-Clad snob!!

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Blogger Jessamyn said…

    Susi just loves her ice cream maker attachment, but does she ever share? No!
    Me? I'm considering the logistics of a frydaddy jr. Or is it too dangerous to have the ability to fry anything, anytime?

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger Katy said…

    Knife Skills class - I can't go June 21, I'll be on a train coming back from Boston. Can we pick a different night. Like Thursday the 29th? I'm registered, but I'll have to reschedule. Let me know.

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger MUDNYC said…

    OK time for an update! Because I need to get my city life fix from the fabulous city minx, where excitement is never lacking and glam is the norm. Update! Update! Please!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home