CityMinx

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Ennui

I have been plagued by ennui. Any of you cats out there watch Gilmore Girls? I happen to like that show, thankyouverymuch, and there was one episode where Michel was being his snotty self, proclaiming he couldn't bring himself to do any work, because he had ennui. Cut to the kitchen, and Sookie (yes, I know she could be a bit trying, but whatever) is slumped over a chopping board, face in hand, sighing like a Jewish mother from Long Island without grandchildren, proclaiming she couldn't do any cooking, because, yes, she had caught Michel's ennui. Merry dialogue ensued about how you just couldn't tell that Sookie about what illness you had, she would think she had it as well, and remember what a bitch of a time it was explaining to her that she couldn't possibly have an enlarged prostate?

Anyway, ennui.

I know there's a true definition out there, but if I spent the time looking it up, that would go against the whole ennui thang. Let's just say, in my case, that it's when you know there's stuff you have to do, like write thank you cards or blog or whatever, but you just can't. You sit there, staring at Jigzone or refreshing the Missed Connections page, to see if the bass player you met last Sunday has posted something cute about you, and do you really want to go back to Bar Marche on Sunday to watch him play, like he invited you to do? You think he looked a little too much like an ex, and that's a bit creepy, and he's probably a little younger than you'd like, but maybe you can convince Kara to go with you, since it's right near her place, and oh what to do what to do....

And I forgot what I was talking about.

Oh, ennui. See? It sneaks right up on you.

So, okay. What happened this week? Worked a ton last week, that was fun. Saturday was La Partay Du Geburtstag, as my many language mangling Dad would say. Oh, let's show some pix:





I would ordinarily do my damndest to make captions line up with the pix, but today, not so much. Suffice to say, isn't Tony adorable? I have a picture of us in a liplock, but he might lose his Boys Club card over that one. Heather and Jo look happy, if a bit blurry, and speaking of blurry, Berhan had a good ol' time, and shut the party down around 2am, then tried to talk me into going out for pizza. Ah, I must be getting old.

Speaking of old, just went to go pour myself a cocktail, and instead drew a healthy glass of water. WTF?

And speaking of having a grand time, check out Miss Jessamyn.






I love it when my friends are having a good time.










































Sunday was Day Of Cleaning, it really wasn't too bad. That night a bunch of us went out for Gino's birthday, where he was served a cake with a large marzipan penis poking out of the top. So of course, everyone had to had a picture of themselves going down on the cake. Shame I left my camera at home. Then Bar Marche (see above) and APT. Not too much news there. Rest of the week was pretty mellow. I've come to the conclusion that I absolutely can not knit or crochet with yarn I don't like. So now I'm in a frigging knittin ennui too. Sigh.

Made vegetable stock (or broth, apparently the second you add salt it goes from stock to broth. Whatever.) out of leftover crudites, then went to my fish class at ICE. I'll post about that later. Ennui had deadened m'typing fingers.

Mom is coming into town tomorrow to go shop.

I'm sure we'll have a good time anyway. I have restaurants picked out.

And also, I just wanted to thank all of you for your fabulous gifts and luck and well wished. Pomotomus socks, you were created with Johanna's yarn in mind. Heather, I've already won $11! Bev, I've never seen mohair so soft. Katy, luv luv luv the markers. Jill and Claudine, you knew exactly which books I wanted and were to cheap to buy. Thanks to all who fed my alcoholism, and the lucky cat is watching over me, Kara. To those I forgot to mention by name, I'm an idiot, and don't deserve such good friends as you.

Now let's go out and have a cocktail, and beat out this ennui crap. I have a life to lead.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Jessamyn said…

    Ennui, huh? We're gonna have to do something to shake things up a bit. Like an adventure or something! Or maybe a pilgrimage! Something!
    Have a great time with Lynnette and the girls this weekend! BTW: I won't sue you for libel based on those pictures. It's a good thing I'm not a politician, huh?

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger Katy said…

    I need need need to see Jez with the boa...

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Passionknitly said…

    ennui en francais is translated as boredom, but i think it's more of a general apathy. I think Sartre used to write about it a lot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home