CityMinx

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Score!

So, Katy and I were hanging out today. Went to The Point, went to Bed, Bath, and OhmygodIhavetobuyeverythinghere, and headed home so I could make some risotto and breaded eggplant. I had all intentions of making a healthy eggplant dish, in the toaster oven, but it wasn't browning, so into a pan of oil and butter it went. And lo, it was wonderful.

Anyway, I digress. So, we're heading back to my place, and on my street we see a guy digging thru some bags of recycling. And on the ground seem to be a lot of pots and pans. Nice ones. Professional ones. And, some Dansk ones. Apparently, someone in the building next to mine had passed, or I dunno, got engaged and decided to get all new pots and pans, and left a treasure trove on the streets.

I have a special fondness for Dansk cookware. My german grandmother, my Omi, had Dansk pots, and cooked the best soups and braised dishes in them. She had a yellow one and light blue one. My mom took the yellow one, and I took the blue one. One day, I was making mushroom soup, and I used my immersion blender, like you're supposed to. I don't know, something was out of whack, and my blender absolutely shredded my pot. The porcelain coating was gone. It was unusable. And yes, I did cry. But it was my own stupidity, and Dansk ain't cheap, and no way was Mom going to give me her pot, so I've be without Dansk for a few years now.

(Note: I just looked up some Dansk on Ebay, and okay, it's not that expensive. But still.)

So, there were pots on the street. And some of them looked like they had be used. But I had to rescue them! My Omi was sending them to me! That may be a bit much, but really now. These were good pots, and stew season is acoming.

So, check out what I got.

Dansk

The upper left one isn't Dansk, and I've already cleaned it up and made the risotto in it. And yum. Nothing like a heavy duty heavy bottomed pan. The red one, I dunno if I can rescue that. It's pretty far gone. The others just need a little elbow grease. And Bon Ami and steel wool. The lids are in good shape, luckily.

So, no other reason for this post. I just had to share how happy I was I had found these. Thanks Katy for helping me carry them.

And, for your enjoyment, a few pix of the Empire State Building, taken from the Javits Center
NYC

This one is reflected in the Javits Center. Artsy, no?
NYC

New York, it can be so lovely at times....

Especially when you'be been awake for twenty hours.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:58 AM, Blogger The MacKay Way said…

    AWSOME SCORE!!!
    People throw away the dumbest things (Freecycle.com ROCKS!)
    My father picked me up a KITCHEN AIDE MIXER (that's right - a KITCHEN AIDE MIXER) at the local dump (which he refers to as the Town Mall). It had a small dent in it (likely from when the person chucked it into the pile) and inside there was a $5.00 part broken...and I got a mixer!!!

    Glad you salvaged them!!

     
  • At 3:51 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    Hoorah for other people's crap!
    I look forward to some Minx-baked goodness out of those babies ;o)
    (Sorry, I did't feel the need for "harsh language" in this comment ;o) )

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger Heidi said…

    Nice pans. lol, I just happened to catch the episode of Chub creek you co-hosted. Lucky!
    Anyway, just wanted to say hey, and leave a comment.

    -Heidi

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Heidi said…

    Ah really? I hope not, Dave is a natural podcaster...and you too, I don't think you even sounded nervous! I wish I had the voice for such things, but alas, I sound like I'm 12 :*(
    lol

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    minxy! i LOVE your blog, why'd you abandon it?

    yes, i was in nyc. but. but. it was all about the BOOKS! i'm coming in again soon, i will call you, and btw, COME VISIT ME!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home