CityMinx

Monday, February 27, 2006

The Sloppy Seconds Gourmand

Did you know that I am royalty? Not too many people realize this, but I am the Queen of Leftovers. This probably stems from growing up in a household where the kitchen was used, primarily, as a room in which to sort the mail.
Now, to be fair, my parents were working about 10 - 12 hours a day, seven days a week, building their business. And when Mom did cook, she did an amazing job of it. And luckily she has time to cook a bit more these days. But back in the day, we went out to diners and the like most of the time, and at the end of the week, we had an impressive and confusing array of leftovers in the fridge, and something had to be done with them, because of course it's a shanda and a crime to throw out good food, especially if you paid for it. Sigh. Might explain a few things, eh?
Anyway, what with my natural scrimping tendencies and the fact I'm doing the 'only eat half of what's on your plate' thang, I often have leftovers. And for some bizarre reason, last night I made enough couscous to feed all of Northern Africa. And as I mentioned earlier, I'm taking off tonight for a few days, and my houseguest / catsitter doesn't eat wheat, and OH MY GOD I'D BETTER FIND SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE COUSCOUS OR ELSE IT'LL GO TO WASTE.

I have issues.

So, this turned out quite yummy, thus I'll share.

Take the leftover couscous (or rice, or quinoa, or whatever), mix in one beaten egg, some matzo meal (you goyishes can use unflavored bread crumbs, the gourmands can use panko), some chopped almonds and dried currants - or whatever else you have lying around, cheese, veggies etc. In my case it was couscous, bit of feta, almonds and currants. Melt yer choice of fat in a pan, just enough to provide some slip. I have some leftover (natch) marrow from Blue Ribbon that I keep in the freezer, but you can use oil, butter, Pam, whatever. Form couscous mixture into patties, and brown on both sides. Fabulous.

And here's a picture!



Now, of course, just to piss me off, I have leftovers of my leftovers. So I formed patties, layered 'em between saran wrap, and froze the suckers. I'll have it this weekend.

And, I thought I'd also show you a picture from the christening this weekend. Here is My friend Christine, whom I've know since we were 12 years old, her beautiful baby NIcholas, her husband Eric, and a dude in a robe. Isn't Nicky gorgeous? Doesn't he make you want to go and have babies right now? Well, okay, maybe not. But he is such a good baby. He withstood a trip to Target, a sushi place, a house full of loud people and a vacuum cleaner nearby, all without fussing or crying. Which is more than I could say for my cat.


By the way, can any of you show me how to put a counter on this thing? I'm feeling a touch narcissistic and I'd like to know how popular I am. Tell your friends!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Katy said…

    I don't remember where I got my counter, but if you find a counter you like on some blog, there is usually a link to the site where the code came from and you can go borrow it.

    Have fun in CT.

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Passionknitly said…

    dude in a robe = priest. :)

    oh, and I'm on myspace now...but i can't find you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home